Data Breach? Don’t Panic, but Do Prepare for Recovery

Thursday, October 01 at 10:50 AM
Category: Personal Finance

“Please note: This article is intended to be a general resource for you and is not intended to reference any specific incident."

It may have happened to you already. A large company that holds personal data about you has reported that their data system was compromised. Despite ongoing innovations in data protection, data breaches are inevitable. The good news is that there are things you can do to protect your personal information and restore your privacy even after a data breach has occurred.

Credit Monitoring Helps, but It’s Not Enough
Reputable companies will offer some identity protection in the wake of a data breach, including credit monitoring by at least one of the three major credit reporting agencies – Experian, TransUnion or Equifax. However, while services like these will give you access to your credit reports, they usually won’t alert you to fraudulent activity. In addition to reviewing your credit reports regularly, you’ll also want to review each of your monthly credit statements with a careful eye. If you see unauthorized activity on any of your accounts, contact the company that holds the account and the credit reporting services immediately. Don’t forget Total Identity Monitoring with IDProtect™ monitors over 1,000 databases for suspicious activity! If you are an Arvest myBlue™, Preferred Club, Arvest Club or Private Banking customer, the IDProtect™ service is included with your account. If you would like to learn more about this service and the benefits of it, please call Arvest at (866) 952-9523, or visit an Arvest branch near you.

Fighting Fraud Takes a Thorough Plan
Overcoming fraud and repairing your credit can be a complicated process. To do that, you’ll need to contact each of your credit providers (credit cards, store cards, banks) to notify them of your identity theft and resolve any issues with your accounts. You’ll also need to determine if your Social Security number has been compromised and protect yourself from criminals who may try to open new accounts in your name. Depending on where the original data breach occurred, you may also need to contact medical service providers and insurance companies to ensure that no one is filing medical claims in your name.

Blog updated by Blog Admin on 10/13/15.

Tags: Consumer Protection, Credit Cards, Financial Education, Privacy and Security
Betty Wilson on 10/12/2015 at 3:51 PM
If your going to scare someone by telling them a company with all your information has been breached don't you think it would be common courtesy to let them no who instead of trying to sell them identity theft protection?!
Susie Elkins on 10/12/2015 at 4:43 PM
So, which company was it that was hacked?
Mary Jane Whittakr on 10/12/2015 at 5:33 PM
What company reported the data breach. I would like to be able to monitor it more closely.
Mike Wilson on 10/12/2015 at 5:35 PM
This email, while a great topic, is so much a waste of my time. I call this service to ask how much this service cost and they can't tell me. I can't turn the service on because I don't have an access code. Why is this half-baked? don't contact me just remove me from further time wasting e-mail please.
Arvest Blog Admin on 10/12/2015 at 7:34 PM
Betty, Susie and Mary Jane -- Thanks for reaching out to us. This blog post is not referring to any particular data breach but provides best practices should you find yourself associated with a company that has a data breach. We hope this'll allow you to be a more informed consumer.
Arvest Blog Admin on 10/12/2015 at 7:43 PM

Mike -- We're sorry to hear you didn't find the article and the eNewsletter it appeared in to be valuable. As requested, we've removed your email address from this eNewsletter distribution list.

Christy Taylor on 10/12/2015 at 7:55 PM
How do I find the access code to be able to register for this service? I did not receive any paper work about this. The only info I have seen is in this e-mail. Thank you
Doris Manning on 10/12/2015 at 9:30 PM
I found the information helpful. Thank you for the newsletter
jerry slink on 10/12/2015 at 10:48 PM
get your act together and put out the company who had my info breached I do't believe this came from arvest remove me from your mailing list. my bank calls me
Ms H on 10/13/2015 at 4:51 AM
One of the largest breaches within the last week was T-Mobile. Anyone applying for service within the last 2-3 years POTENTIALLY had their personal information stolen through weak link with Experian. I am considering a credit block - but don't know how it will affect my IDProtect service.
Clarence Stallard on 10/13/2015 at 2:10 PM
Thanks for keeping us informed and helping keeping our accounts secure
Anna Zehnder on 10/13/2015 at 2:48 PM
I found this to be an informative email and a reminder of what can happen. Last year around the holidays Target had a data breach-anyone remember that? Thank you Arvest for thinking of your customers and how you can help protect them. I would like more information on the IDProtect Credit Monitoring.
Arvest Blog Admin on 10/13/2015 at 3:01 PM

Christy - Please call the Arvest contact center at (866) 952-9523 to receive your access code. We invite you to learn more about this service at https://www.arvest.com/personal/protect/family-id-protect.

Arvest Blog Admin on 10/13/2015 at 3:54 PM
Jerry - This article is intended to be a general resource and is not intended to reference any specific incident. We apologize for any confusion over the source of this content provided by Arvest to our customers. We have removed your email from Arvest's IDProtect™ email distribution list.
Arvest Blog Admin on 10/14/2015 at 6:40 PM
Ms H - We're looking into how a credit block would impact IDProtect and will email you with additional details.
Arvest Blog Admin on 10/14/2015 at 6:51 PM

Anna - Glad you found this information useful. You can find more information about IDProtect at https://www.arvest.com/personal/protect/family-id-protect.*